Supporting eLearners – The Welcome Letter
The welcome letter provides a brief introduction to the course, covering important navigation instructions, necessary prerequisite knowledge, and pertinent information regarding the online environment, among other things. It introduces the instructor(s) to the students and is usually sent out via email. A welcome letter typically includes these items:
- Name of the course
- Instructor name and contact information
- Course description (in-depth)
- Format (e.g., fully online or blended)
- Organization & structure
- Important dates (including start and end dates)
- Estimated weekly time commitment
- Textbooks or required resources
- Course technology (including technical requirements)
- Tips for success and/or next steps
- How to access the course
- Support & troubleshooting (technical assistance)
- Read about the Factors Influencing a Learner’s Decision to Drop-Out or Persist in Higher Education Distance Learning.
- Consider the instructions and guidance in this Welcome Letter Template.
- Download a syllabus checklist and template using Quality Matters standards.
Note: These resources link to UW-Madison Google App documents and will require a UW-Madison NetID login. Please read our instructions for logging into UW-Madison Google Apps.